- 0 kr
- Toor dal - 1/2 Cup
- Garlic - 5 cloves (Optional)
- Asafoetida 1tsp
- Mixed veggies - 1 bowl (Carrot - 1, Beans - 10, Peas - 1 small handful, Drumstick - 1, Brinjal - 2, Potato - 1) as you wish
- Raw rice/ Basmati rice - 1 Cup
- Tamarind - 1 medium gooseberry size
- Curry leaves - 1 sprig
- Small onion | Red pearl onion - 15
- Tomato - 1 small
- Turmeric - 1/4 + 1/4 tsp
- Sambar powder - 1 tsp
- Salt - 1 1/2 - 1 1/2 tsp (adjust per taste)
- Ghee - 1 Tbsp
- Coriander leaves - For garnish
To roast and grind:
- Grated coconut - 1/3 Cup
- Oil - 1/4 tsp
- Chana dal - 1 Tbsp
- Fenugreek seeds - 1/8 tsp
- Cinnamon stick - 1/2 inch
- Cloves - 3
- Cardamom - 1
- Coriander seeds - 1 Tbsp
- Jeera - 1/2 tsp
- Dry red chilli - 4
To temper :
- Oil - 1 Tbsp
- Mustard - 1/4 tsp
- Jeera - 1/2 tsp
- Dry red chilli - 2
- Asafoetidaa large pinch
1. First wash and pressure cook the toor dal along with garlic, asafoetida, 1/4 tsp of turmeric and sufficient amount of water.
2. Mean while cut the veggies, wash and clean the rice. Soak the tamarind in hot water for about 5 minutes and extract tamarind juice measuring 1 cup.
3.Then in a pan, dry roast the grated coconut until a nice aroma arises. Transfer to a plate and keep it aside. Add 1/4 tsp oil to the pan, and add the other ingredients listed under "To roast and grind" one by one. Saute until the chana dal turns golden brown. Once done transfer it a plate and let it cool down to room temperature. Now grind the roasted spices along with the roasted coconut in a mixie/blender into a coarse powder. Keep aside the masala powder.
4.Heat the cooker pan with oil, and add the mustard. Once it splutters, add the remaining ingredients listed under "To temper" in the given order. Once the jeera turns golden brown, add the curry leaves, onion and saute until the onion turns translucent.
5.Add the tomato and give a quick stir. Add the other veggies and saute for 1min.
6.Now turn the flame to low-medium and add the remaining 1/4 tsp turmeric, salt, sambar powder and give a quick stir. Follow it by the prepared masala powder and mix well until combined. Add 2 Cups of water, 1 Cup of the tamarind extract and mix well.
7.Open the lid, add ghee and coriander leaves to the sambar rice and give a gentle mix.